Friday 14 August 2009

David J. Van De Pitte - Motown arranger passes

It is with sadness that I mention the passing of Motown arranger David J. Van De Pitte a few days ago. My Detroit project came to life when Dennis Coffey offered to help and in doing so asked David whether he would be interested in providing his arranging services from my demos. He said yes, and what a thrill to have him on board for a musical journey of a lifetime for me. He was respectful, funny and a great motivator in the studio. He was telling me some great stories from back in the Motown days. Now, I have my personal stories to cherish from my session in Detroit. I was so lucky to have met him and have a unique banter that I never thought in a million years would ever happen. There was one thing he whispered in my ear about my demos which was quite funny, and it really did make my day "man, I must say your demos are like the real thing...well almost, you know what I mean". That floored me there and then, and we chuckled together about the comment...

R.I.P. David and thank you for being part of my dream coming true.

More from the Detroit news here.

No comments: