Thursday 22 November 2007

The Temptations/Four Tops - Royal Albert Hall 19th November 2007




On the 19th November 2007, my wife and I attended The Royal Albert Hall in London to see The Four Tops and Temptations. I must say how good the evening was and the energy that both groups put in to their performances was outstanding. The Four Tops commenced the evening with a montage of their hits and did a special with Theo Peoples performing a rather long version of the 'Heatwave' classic 'Always and Forever'. His voice is superb. Duke Fakir won the audience over with his introduction to the 'new kids on the block' being the other members of the group and a lovely tribute Renaldo Benson and Lawrence Payton and mentioning that Levi Stubbs had to retire due to illness. The groups’ enthusiasm and professionalism was tip top and a joy to witness. I will be going again to see them, whenever they visit these shores. Any young aspiring singer or writer must not miss the chance to witness this style of performance.

The Temptations were electric. Their energy and vocal harmonies are 100% out of this world. They sang many of their big hits and introduced each other with Otis Williams being last. Without a doubt Bruce Williamson, has one of the greatest soul singing voices I have ever heard. This line up has a classy style and delivery they must all be proud of. Talk about slick and effortless.

If you love soul music of the past, you cannot fail to enjoy witnessing the cream of the crop performing together on one bill. I bought myself a T shirt, programme and met Ron Tyson afterwards. I managed to raise his eyebrows when I mentioned the Philly group 'The Ethics' he was in. We sang 'Standing on the inside' together, well almost, I think we both forgot the lyrics!

No comments: